Truly an embarrasment for the ogs owners, what a way to treat people. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

All they had to do is open the marketplace to have it running and make a name for itself.

Really feel bad for those who were trying to do an archive their collection.

I guess I was right on $$$ side of thing, when user were telling me that they wanted a genuine archive of all their DVD.

They are doing no effort to prosper from it, and now it's saturation for them so they will throw it away.

It's official they did it for the money. I was right all along. I really feel for many of you guys.

From an admin
Undoubtedly that is part of it... but it actually takes real effort and time to monetize a site like this, so it's a Catch 22 situation.

https://books.discogs.com/forum/812047-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish#post-6

Really!? Where was this announced please?

Filmogs went off the rails years ago.

Two of the major problems we have seen:

• the original focus of cataloging PHYSICAL MEDIA took a backseat to a very vocal set of users wanting to create their own 'IMDb'

• No sort of vetting or approval system for submissions

The 'marketplace' issue has been discussed in the FORUMS for years. We are of the opinion that a re-opening of the marketplace would do nothing to attract users wanting to contribute complete and accurate information to this site. When the marketplace WAS active, the majority of titles for sale were incomplete, lacking full descriptions and images of the actual item being sold. The sellers we contacted rarely responeded and never with images of the actual item being sold.

None of the -ogs spin-off sites seemed very well thought out. The scope of these various projects were too big and could not be supported properly. One of the best examples of a community database project we have found is the Grand Comics Database.

I disagree,

With your assestment. Since I added more films than release. While it's not exclusive to all actors, what kept me going is when it came to mainstream actor (e.g. Al Pacino or Steven Seagal) it would push contributor to add the release connected to the film.

No one contributing films said to those contributing releases to stop. While the reverse was active.

Never the less it's gross and incompetent from discogs. I had sold my collection privatly so I never used their system.

Based on what you are saying, it is also it is quite imcompetent from them not have implemented their Discogs system Good, VG, VG Plus, etc.

I do believe if they had done what they did to Discogs and take a cut of the profit, they would have profited and taken it more seriously.

They promised many an archive playground for their collection and they lied. It was all profit based.

I while I do not care about the White lie, the incompetence behind this is mind blowing.

Discogs has the record shop monopoly, I worked in them. We don't talk ebay, or Amazon we talk discogs.

I was certain they would beat the book, media, comic, and poster market.

Lotion_Beam wrote:

Two of the major problems we have seen:

• the original focus of cataloging PHYSICAL MEDIA took a backseat to a very vocal set of users wanting to create their own 'IMDb'

• No sort of vetting or approval system for submissions

The 'marketplace' issue has been discussed in the FORUMS for years. We are of the opinion that a re-opening of the marketplace would do nothing to attract users wanting to contribute complete and accurate information to this site. When the marketplace WAS active, the majority of titles for sale were incomplete, lacking full descriptions and images of the actual item being sold. The sellers we contacted rarely responeded and never with images of the actual item being sold.

None of the -ogs spin-off sites seemed very well thought out. The scope of these various projects were too big and could not be supported properly. One of the best examples of a community database project we have found is the Grand Comics Database.

I wrote them to ask them to freeze it, until further notice.

Wow, this is a major bummer. So, if I understand correctly, Filmogs will close next month or when is the last day we can upload and edit new submissions?

Well that's a nice "fuck you", oh well at least I now know that I don't have to bother wasting any more time on this place if they seemingly don't give a shit about it either.

Nice to have it fully confirmed over on discogs by staff too.
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/822504?page=1#8164130

Well I guess that's the end, twas fun, at least for me the main reason to use this site never worked in the first place, and I've found a site that actually works to catalog my collection without having to dump hours into it. And for those wondering it's libib.com, nice place to catalog your DVD's and you can scan the barcode, no fuss, what this site should have been, oh well.

That's really sad, I like the site but I missed the original Discogs feeling especially with the searching and the list view. I was hoping it will be like the Discogs but with movies, and now it's so bad to see it will come to an end. :( I wanted to upload more VHS covers and add infos about them, and of course DVDs and BluRays too. I really enjoy the original Discogs site, and was hoping this site will be the same once. Would be awesome to save the site or get it back later, I'm sure a lot of people had hard work with uploading informations about releases, uploading covers, etc.

I would like to say a big thank you for everyone who contributed anything to the site and let us see how many releases are available worldwide, it's really interesting sometimes to check just the releases from other countries, what extras they have, what's the difference from the original or the own country releases. :)

Noooooooooooooooo

Please i am begging you ogs staff don't shut em down.

if ogs do go i will not usendiscogs.

Anyone know a website like this one.

that is not shutting down and farley easy too use.

All that time I put in on this website was wasted? I mean I can understand maybe Comicogs or Posterogs shutting down, because let's face it, they weren't really that big. But Filmogs and Bookogs? These are pretty big in comparison. And from what I can tell, this was on it's way to become one of the most comprehensive places for home released films on the Internet.

I always tried to provide full scans of the DVD insert in hopes it might help somebody in the future who needed it, but it looks like that's not going to happen. For me, it's not that big of a blow because I guess I could just write a list down of the things I own. I have 201 releases in my film collection, and 1,200+ releases in my music collection. So by comparison, it isn't going to hurt me as much.

Do you suppose they're on their way to tell us or are they going to ghost us like the usually do?

FILMOGS should be saved. The current version should be shut down for a year to allow developers to update and refocus the site.

UG1002 wrote:

Blu-ray.com is not shutting down, but is not easy to use, and has a lot of limitations compared to filmogs.

NOTE: There are incredible open-source projects dedicated to the preservation of the data contained on various home-video formats. A number of formats are no longer playable and, as time moves on, more formats will be lost. FILMOGS could have been used as a portal of sorts to find out more about these projects.

This is really disappointing. Filmogs had become a very fun hobby for me and I feel like there is a lot of good information and releases here done in a very complete way by competent Filmogs users. Personally, I always aimed to provide an accurate amount of detail whether it be in uploading scans or notes about the release and the details of the item. I really think Filmogs is an important site to have. As far as I know there isn't any other kind of open site like this dedicated to cataloging the various films and their respective format options. I really hope there is a way that the Discogs staff can reconsider this decision.

" Filmogs had become a very fun hobby for me and I feel like there is a lot of good information and releases here done in a very complete way by competent Filmogs users."

Agreed. We patterned our submissions after an OG user's submissions.

"As far as I know there isn't any other kind of open site like this dedicated to cataloging the various films and their respective format options."

There isn't. Users can cobble data together from a handful of sites, but that is a suboptimal strategy.

knuffeltje wrote_:

UG1002 wrote:

Blu-ray.com is not shutting down, but is not easy to use, and has a lot of limitations compared to filmogs.

Blueray.com isnt really what im looking for :/

by what others are saying there is no similar site too filmogs it seem silly too shut a site down when there is no comparisson.

They should have had sold the database, or explain the problematics of keeping it, and freeze it until things calm down.

they didn't act "community based" but in an impulsive autorative way.

What,

I was just getting used to it.
Looking to see what versions exist of a film, is there 4K: filmogs is the quickest way....

Bad decission...
If they would just not update filmogs anymore, no problem... but close it down for submitting...

I just spend a good effort of time and dedication adding my collection to filmogs.
There is no alterrnative for this database. It's strength is in the simpleness.

OK, I miss a marketplace and some more features to manage my collection (when it's all added, now it's okay). But those misses aren't THAT bad to shut it down...

Agreed!
Dr.SultanAszazin wrote:

What,

Looking to see what versions exist of a film, is there 4K: filmogs is the quickest way....

Bad decission...
If they would just not update filmogs anymore, no problem... but close it down for submitting...

I just spend a good effort of time and dedication adding my collection to filmogs.
There is no alterrnative for this database. It's strength is in the simpleness.

OK, I miss a marketplace and some more features to manage my collection (when it's all added, now it's okay). But those misses aren't THAT bad to shut it down...

I still want to hear it from them. I want them to come to Filmogs and tell it to us as a courtesy. But if they won't keep the site open I suppose that's not guaranteed either.

WolfXCIX wrote:

I still want to hear it from them. I want them to come to Filmogs and tell it to us as a courtesy. But if they won't keep the site open I suppose that's not guaranteed either.

I can tell you now, we will either get nothing, or we will get a post telling us the site is going to close on a date, thanking us for out time and contributions and that's it, they will wipe their hands and walk away.

Lotion_Beam wrote:

Download ogs Data

http://data.discogslabs.com/?prefix=data/filmogs/

Could someone explain how to successfully use this link or what the file type is and how to use it?

I hope this happen.

1. us the users resume this site as a community driven site
  2. we are allowed too submit more after this month or when they plan too delete the websities.

i dought we will be allowed to resume this project but if we are i hope we can help this thrive.

TheWho87 wrote:

WolfXCIX wrote:
I can tell you now, we will either get nothing, or we will get a post telling us the site is going to close on a date, thanking us for out time and contributions and that's it, they will wipe their hands and walk away.

weak

If they close filmogs, we should start massively adding films to discogs as a form of protest. After all, tapes and discs are allowed on discogs, if we cant input them here, we just do it there.

Probably they will kick us, but the message will be clear and lots of oggers less active here might start to support us.

I don't have the impression filmogs is eating that much resources from discogs...

Even worse is that in my impression, the time for a filmogs is only just becoming ripe. VHS & DVD were always a lesser format compared to the original cinematic experience, but since blu-ray, plasma screens and OLED's, the quality you get home is fantastic.

OLED just became affordable to the avarage customer interested in cinema. The available blurays are becoming really interesting, in a few years the 4K market will be filled with more interesting (non box-office) cinema too.

Only recently, since purchasing a 4K OLED + UHD bluray player, I started building up my collection.

I think it would be far better of the ogg-staff would look for volunteers to keep this site up...

I can understand they want to focus on their core-bussiness and of course they need revenue to keep things alive. But I think this community is big enough to find enough volunteers to take it over in some kind of "open-source" kind of database.

I don't even mind if, once this thing has grown, they take it back to get the revenue of the marketplace. At a certain point, film collectors will start to sell their regular blurays as they are being replaced by 4K-HDR formats (& maybe 8K, if ultrabigscreens become affordable in about 10-15 years).

This smells like impatience, I remember discogs as a place where only electronic music had it's place. Things need time to grow, only at a certain treshold, growth becomes exponential. Filmogs is unique, there is only one place to check for releases of obscure films. I really start to use this to find small publishers which release very interesting hard to find stuff.

And to get the marketplace alive: just feed the anti-amazon feeling. I hate that site and it would be my worst nightmare if Amazon succeeds to become about the only well-known place to look for films.

Filmogs is the future, no filmogs, no future!

"If they close filmogs, we should start massively adding films to discogs as a form of protest."

+1!!!

"But I think this community is big enough to find enough volunteers to take it over in some kind of "open-source" kind of database."

Possible. See the Grand Comics Database. Voting on proposed changes to the site. Voting privileges given to users with X amount of submissions/points. Approval required on ALL submissions or edits.

RE: 4K and UHD discs

UHD discs - Possibly the last physical home-video media format. The cost is still too much for average consumers - new 4K OLED, UHD player, new receiver for Dolby Atmos and dts-X sound PLUS additional CEILING MOUNTED speakers (assuming they already have a 7.1 set up).

Broadcast - little to no 4K content from the local cable providers; the use of 4K streaming services require high-speed/bandwidth internet service - premium cost and not available everywhere.

4K monitors are nice for gaming and UHD, but UHD being the driving force for a site like FILMGOS, doubtful.

Some VHS, LD and DVD releases have cuts of films not available elsewhere. While causal viewers may not care about this, collectors and cinephiles do. These groups should be the core of FILMOGS. Monetizing the site with a marketplace should come MUCH later, if at all.

Physical Media Forver!

NOTE: CRTs are still great for watching VHS and LD.

Well, this is a COLOSSAL kick in the dick (or whatever genitals you possess).

This became a huge, ongoing, fulfilling hobby for me since I lost my job in 2017. I never expected to become a power user, but I've spent a ton of time logging releases since joining. Sure, there's always room for improvement, but to trash everything...what a bunch of bullshit. I'd rather pay an extra point on my Discogs sales to keep this alive.

Thanks for that tip on libib.com, TheWho87. I'm going to check it out and put it thru its paces. Maybe it'll be my new landing spot.

Cheers all...especially the contributors. See you in the dollar bins.

TheWho87 wrote:

Nice to have it fully confirmed over on discogs by staff too.
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/822504?page=1#8164130

Well I guess that's the end, twas fun, at least for me the main reason to use this site never worked in the first place, and I've found a site that actually works to catalog my collection without having to dump hours into it. And for those wondering it's libib.com, nice place to catalog your DVD's and you can scan the barcode, no fuss, what this site should have been, oh well.

Oh god, you know it's serious when you see teo make a reply about it! I've never seen them post in the forum before!

Well, well. It's not our fault everthing went south!
It's their own fault, Mr.Kevin Lewandowski & The Discogs Team.

The first part of this post is for Discogs and their staff (just so you know)

Instead of launching the other *OGS using the same platform as Discogs, you
choose to build new ones?????? What the hell?
You already have built an impressive DB with Discogs and yet you choose to start from scratch.

You had it all:
Vote abillity for the users.
Merging of duplicates by votes the users.
Point system to award the Contributors.
Notifications and direct contact with other users.
CIP for the users whom had been naughty.
A great Marketplace.

I can go on forever!!!!
Instead you choose to launch these site with nothing!!!!
It was barely useable in the beginning and i guess the staff and the users
struggled as much.
Just leaving one or two members from the Staff to coordinate and fix every fault and request from the users of Bibliogs (the first name), Comicogs, Filmogs, Gearogs and Posterogs was wrong. No wonder they could not manage all five sites at the same time.

If you had done the right thing from the start with these *OGS sites they had been
much larger now with more users, contributors and a marketplace.
I'm sure of it.
How hard can it be to change the platform of Discogs to fit other
formats of media?

We (the users and contributors) could easily done much of the Staff's work around these sites if we had the abillity of voting and merging.

One thing that bothers me the most is that you had said nothing about this until now.
The absence of Staff around these sites were clerly of the the end of 2019!
For six month we have been doing contributions and fixing things for ourself.
Again! What the hell?
A little notice from you would have been OK!
But no, all of the sudden a message appear on Comicogs that you are closing it.
(and by the way the other *OGS close as well).
No intention of sending us(the users and contributors) of Bookogs and Filmogs the same message. (i'll guess it would appear a month later).

Well, i guess you just lost a great opportunity to become the world greatest site
on Books and Films as you are on musical releases.

And by the way!
Thanks for the support (as you so gently put in the post to Comicogs
"You may be wondering what is happening to the other “ogs” sites. We will also be closing Gearogs, Filmogs, Bookogs, and Posterogs, but those will be closed about one month later while we make sure we haven’t overlooked anything. VinylHub will remain open." End of qoute.

For all i care, close down Comicogs, Gearogs and Posterogs, got no intrest in those
sites what so ever (this is my EGO speaking, sorry for users and contribtors on those sites) Merge Comicogs with Bookogs as the users have asked for. One problem solved.

Gearogs! Who the hell came up with that?
Was it, what is the users using for listing to all the music gather om my site?

I've got alot of Gears along the way, at home (music, Cinema), at work (music)
and in my car( music, cinema).
But who gives a damn?
Close this site!

Posterogs!
Do we really need to collect all posters?
Sure,we can have an Artist, Record, Film or perhaps even a Book as a poster.
Does no one care? Again the answer is no!
You can have posters of cats, Dogs, Nature, etc, ect.
Close it down!!!!

And Finally:
Vinyl Hubs or Record Stores (as you call it on other sites).

Why won't you shut that down?
Does Discogs gain profit for promoting this site?

Me,myself have done everthing in my power to promote the sites i'v been
active at Discgogs, Bookogs and Filmogs.
If you choose to close down Bookogs and Filmogs with my contributions, you might as well terminte all my contributions to Discogs as well.

Now you have my opinion.
keep Bookogs (merged with Comicogs and even Posterogs in some way) all 3 is printed material.
Filmogs. For reasons not to be said.

There you have it!
Three great databases with MUSIC, BOOKS and FILMS.

What can you say?
It would be awesome!!!!

Best Regards!
User of 3 sites. (Discogs, Bookogs and Filmogs)
zamla_71

Now To respond to some users in this thread!

Lotion_Beam wrote:

Yes, Yes, Yes.

The whole purpose of this site was to gather all the different RELEASES (DVD, Blu-Ray, VHS etc,etc of a Film.
Do we really need too add all Actors, Directors and (who made the Coffee on location
on the Film Page). NO, We don't need all of those credits around here. ( it is just a waste of time and space.
The information of the people involved with a specific Film is already on the net and could with ease be found through the Links system (If you choose to use it).

No one here is really impressed by users whom is coping everything from IMDB.
Just use the link. Thanx.

WolfXCIX wrote:

All that time I put in on this website was wasted?

Sort of! ;)

Do you suppose they're on their way to tell us or are they going to ghost us like the usually do?

??
Hopefully they will. (but not for another month)

UG1002 wrote:

Noooooooooooooooo

Yes, indeed +++++

Lotion_Beam wrote:

FILMOGS should be saved. The current version should be shut down for a year to allow developers to update and refocus the site.

Yes it Should.
Close it down and save the data and reboot it on the Discogs platform.

thefavoriteplay wrote:

This is really disappointing. Filmogs had become a very fun hobby for me and I feel like there is a lot of good information and releases here done in a very complete way by competent Filmogs users. Personally, I always aimed to provide an accurate amount of detail whether it be in uploading scans or notes about the release and the details of the item. I really think Filmogs is an important site to have. As far as I know there isn't any other kind of open site like this dedicated to cataloging the various films and their respective format options. I really hope there is a way that the Discogs staff can reconsider this decision.

Yes!!!!!!!

Dr.SultanAszazin wrote:

What,

Bad decission...

You see, new users coming around and they like it:)

WolfXCIX wrote:

++++++ ( i liked that, Thumps up)

Now to all users!!!!
Even is the odds are against us,PLEASE keep on to contribute to this site with new RELESEAS all that you can and i will do the same.
If they see our effort, maybe they would consider closing US down. (Never give in, never surrender;).

PS.If this site goes down the drain, i would like say Hello and Thanx to all contributors and users (Friends or Enemies, been a few along the way).

Friends or Foes! It's been a pleasure working with you!!!!

A Special Thanx to Staff members Kalli and Falsepriest!!!!
You did your best regarding the circumstance.

The companies, credits, films and releases data are available for download. The images are not available. We personally know a user that submitted over 1500 releases - with well over 3000 scans from those releases. The images taken from other online sources are not important and served no use to the site. There are releases indexed here that do not appear elsewhere. Will these images be saved or wiped?

I'm more interested if we can use that data to make our own site, with blackjack and hookers...

More so than the information, the images are probably the most important if anything. That's how the data for releases are attained. I personally don't have a use for indexing the release data for myself, I only have so much. But the images? Let's try to save those, spare for the god awful ones.

It was kind of strange they had to build a whole new website design from scratch rather than use Discogs for it, because we're missing a lot of key elements from these sites like the rules, voting, and marketplace now as well. No wonder it came to an end so abruptly.

@Zamala71

true tgey did say in the message they will shut other ogs down unless they overlooked something.

so maybe if we all submit they will go damn that was a bad idea to try and close down Filmogs / bookogs / others.

Will these images be saved or wiped?

In the Comicogs announcement teo said that, "We will also be storing the last export on archive.org, with images."

I only found this site a few months ago, and I was just getting started on adding my huge collection of DVDs, Blu Rays and VHS. Considering I had to create approximately 60% of films and 95+% of releases, I was happy to sit here and do it.

I love my collection, and I love sharing it with others. I have a lot of rare releases, and I love seeing the things other users contribute to this site.

I know the decision has already been made, but if it takes more community response, then here I am... responding. @ admins/dev team What do YOU need in order to keep Filmogs up and running?

rhagz wrote:

I only found this site a few months ago, and I was just getting started on adding my huge collection of DVDs, Blu Rays and VHS. Considering I had to create approximately 60% of films and 95+% of releases, I was happy to sit here and do it.

I love my collection, and I love sharing it with others. I have a lot of rare releases, and I love seeing the things other users contribute to this site.

I know the decision has already been made, but if it takes more community response, then here I am... responding. @ admins/dev team What do YOU need in order to keep Filmogs up and running?

Yes what does community need to keep it alive?

I have hundreds of discs I wanted to submit here, glad I didn't bother.....

CruelMelody wrote:

I have hundreds of discs I wanted to submit here, glad I didn't bother.....

Please keep submitting with enough submissions maybe we can save Filmogs.

Comicogs was a mistake.

I worked in a record shop. DVD, Books, and gears overlap but not Comics.

They should have had the marketplace ready to run right from the start.

It was way too ambitious for them do all four in a single go.

They didn't do a good job promoting it with general discogs user a folks who would want to buy them.

It's been on the cards since the staff were reassigned some time ago.

I'm gutted nevertheless.

I was only barely 20-25% into cataloging my collection and had already contributed over a 1000 unique releases alone, that's more than 1 a day since I joined, this alongside contributing so much more data on non-unique ones, films, companies...

Like UG1002 I'm going to keep submitting until the end. Perhaps our efforts could save it...

sixandnine wrote:

Like UG1002 I'm going to keep submitting until the end. Perhaps our efforts could save it...

Yes we hit 70'000 releases i am submitting on both 45cat and here and 45 cat dvd site only new and not much active compared to here.

I cry to think of the hours upon hours wasted here, why not put it up to become some kind of open source project? Instead of binning it all.

If they had set up a system to sell right from the get-go. All the shops would have uploaded DVDs regarding music early to sell them and Filmogs would be a prosperous venture.

They screwed everyone including themselves.

For our content I have been informed that https://www.45worlds.com/ have quite a thriving community, our cocern is this area https://www.45worlds.com/dvd/ which covers DVD, VHS and Bluray from my quick glances

45cat/worlds with arms wide open.

https://www.45worlds.com/topic/103544

If you're active on other it's sites please spread the word.

TheWho87 wrote:

https://www.45worlds.com/topic/103544

Yes, fewer than half the releases filmogs has. Hats off to them for giving a crap.

sixandnine wrote:

TheWho87 wrote:

https

Yes, fewer than half the releases filmogs has. Hats off to them for giving a crap.

Well excuse me princess, considering the response we've had from the staff here regarding ANYTHING, even this, when they have mentioned it on other ogs sites, plus add to the fact in a couple months those releases won't matter since the site won't exist, makes sence to transfer over what you can while you can.

45worlds DVD section is no better than an Amazon listing. Cannot recommend.

Lotion_Beam wrote:

45worlds DVD section is no better than an Amazon listing. Cannot recommend.

Know anywhere better that isn't planning on shutting down?

Is there any idea if the Discogs/Filmogs staff is even going to announce an end-date (official end) of the Filmogs site?

Will we hear it from the staff themselves? Or are we left to our own devices until one day we come back to the site and it doesn't come up or load and is lost forever.

Will we get a download file/link of our submissions?

I am still holding out hope they will reconsider closing Filmogs. This is a VERY important site.

The real question is there any chance on them bothering to show up at all, this has been announced on other ogs sites and staff have chimed in but not here, even though in all their comments they have included Filmogs in the list of sites their closing.

"Or are we left to our own devices until one day we come back to the site and it doesn't come up or load and is lost forever"

We haven't had access to FILMOGS with two different browsers already; another browser would allow limited access. This is the fourth browser used and FILMOGS seems to be fully funtional. NOTE: Discogs could be accessed on all of the various browsers.

thefavoriteplay wrote:

Will we get a download file/link of our submissions?

According to teo, yes.
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/822504?page=1#8182852

Perhaps FILMOGS (version 1.0) SHOULD BE closed/suspsended. The current method of unverified submissions has caused so many duplicates, errors and low/no-quality entries, it would take a dedicated team, working full-time, months, or longer, to correct.

Yes,

What I would do is freeze it, and only allow submission that are related to music or have already a film page, and set up the sales options.

Lotion_Beam wrote:

Perhaps FILMOGS (version 1.0) SHOULD BE closed/suspsended. The current method of unverified submissions has caused so many duplicates, errors and low/no-quality entries, it would take a dedicated team, working full-time, months, or longer, to correct.

Users can already sell music video DVDs, etc. on Discogs, right?

I feel sad that Filmogs is closing. I enjoyed this website very much. It stinks that it won't be around anymore.

Ofdb.de works similarly to Filmogs. It is a community based film platform with a connected market place.

However, in German.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.