Hello everyone, I just joined Filmogs as I've had some good success with my Discogs store and wanted a place to sell my movies. I tried looking for the sell films option, but it doesn't look like I can list anything for sale nor can I buy movies. Has this been paused or halted for the time being? If so, when will this re-open so I can sell movies. I am done with selling movies on eBay and Amazon (crazy fees) and was looking at this as a better option. Please advise if anyone knows anything.

They closed it last year due to inactivity, and I doubt it will come back quickly. There's a lot of factors that go into that, such as the amount of people that use the website being smaller and the amount of release pages on here is not quite big enough yet. Currently there is only a little bit more than 66,000 total releases on the website, which is not a lot if you think about it. Many movies and editions are not on here yet, but over time as the popularity and database grows, then they will most likely bring the marketplace back.

To be fair, even if they did have it still up it would probably take quite a while to sell anything. More based on what I said about not so many people knowing about it. Really if a normal person were to think about buying a movie, they would either do it in person at the store or they would go to Amazon or eBay to get it. You could say the same thing about the Discogs marketplace as well, as it is more geared to a more avid music fan. I have the same mindset of when I started of going to the store, eBay or Amazon to buy something, because you can get it for the cheapest price possible.

So in short, marketplace is gone but it may return when the site gets bigger in both users and releases.

Thanks for the response. I really wish I could avoid selling movies on eBay and Amazon. I hope this grows faster and hopefully discogs will do some more marketing to let people know that this exists.

I hope I can buy some stuff here.
Not a lot for sale, except from some child DVD's that lay unused.

Yeah Discogs bring the marketplace back. Many are hurting financially and could use the extra cash

The marketplace might encourage more database submissions from people?

I agree re-open the darn marketplace.

I just came back after a year and some, only to find the marketplace closed. It would certainly encourage me to contribute to the database if I were able to buy/sell films. Darn ebay and amazon, I want filmogs as a marketplace!

I'm into a Blu-Ray & UHD buying Frenzy lately.

Some releases are currently unavailable/sold out new, (such as the Blu-Ray edition of Fulci's "The Beyond" / "...E Tu Vivrai Nel Terrore! L'AldilĂ ".

It would be great to be able to find such releases here.

Used films are currently a small market, because DVD/VHS are inferior formats due to their limited resolution. Especially VHS. But anything starting from FullHD will be interesting forever, just as real film reels are endless formats. The quality reached a point which is high enough to enjoy a film title, regardless of superior formats (UHD/4K & the crazy 8K) yet to come. Blu-Ray looks like a timeless format, just as vinyl. It reached the quality one needs to fully enjoy a cinematic experience.

As a plus: 4K UHD blu-rays are a region free format, which will ease a public marketplace. (Normal Blu-Rays still have 3 regions, although purchasing 3 blu-ray drives and exporting a title to .mkv is a small effor for a cinefile gathering titles from all over the world. With most modern TV's (or an Nvidia Shield) having Plex, those titles stream without effort to you television.
4K releases often contain all available subtitles and audio tracks, even if it's not mentioned on the sleeve.

I think the time is right to start up the marketplace. At start, use will be limited (as a lot of Bluray purchases are recent and will not often appear as used items, and the title database is still limited).

Starting up the marketplace now might be the key to become an important player in the future. Both for used items and for professional sellers. Especially for more obscure titles, which have limited availability and currently are available from a very limited set of sellers. I need to purchase most of my titles from UK-based sellers (living in Belgium)

I expect opening the marketplace now, will make it a(/the) place to be for anyone interested in film in about 5 years from now.
Waiting to long, might make a possible marketplace (and partly filmogs maybe) a missed chance, as other players might jump on this before that.

Original:
https://films.discogs.com/credit/168999-satomi-korogi

Duplicate:
https://films.discogs.com/credit/423885-satomi-koorogi-anv

Note: I converted the second one to an "ANV" page so that we can avoid another similar duplicate with different spelling for that credit's name being created again. Please don't re-use until we get ANV built in to the functionality of the site.

Sorry for the previous post... Wrong thread...

I totally agree open the marketplace immediatly. I need the extra cash stuff that can go.

It would definitely encourage people to submit more films. I really can't commit to submitting films without knowing if the marketplace will ever open again.

Wasn't the plan to integrate it with the Discogs system, hence shutting down the service nobody was using because it was buggy, I'd rather they implement the system properly, then just bring it back for the sake of it.

How was it buggy?

Im assuming there were issues, either way nobody was using it, they listed things but nothing probably moves, if you don't have a database the point of a marketplace is pointless, the site needs a database before anything like a database can be made active, till

I agree with what TheWho87 said, there may be the few people in this thread who want it to open, but right now that's the only public support it has for it. I mean, there aren't that many people on here that actually use the forum to interact, so it's tough to say how many would actually use it. For the normal person with a DVD collection, it seems pretty confusing how there's a big abscene of popular films and the versions that go with it.

When I joined the site, I had to add a lot of my own releases because they weren't on here. Not because they were obscure, but there wasn't a page for a normal USA version on DVD for a lot of these big films. For example, I had to add the whole Indiana Jones trilogy, Deadpool, Terminator 1 & 2, Waynes World 1 & 2, Full Metal Jacket, King Kong, Jaws, Kill Bill, Alien, Raging Bull, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, Escape From New York, Rushmore and even more to name a few. Most of these were the normal USA versions of these films, because the other ones that were on these pages were the European and other country releases. Which is nice to see, but it's kind of odd to see that there was all the other countries versions of these films on a database which is native to the United States, where these films were made in most cases. Which may contribute to the amount of people using the website, because from what I can tell a select few are actually willing to go throught the effort to add their collection to the website and might just stray away from the site because of that. It's not comprehensive enough yet, and not enought people know about it. We make the database bigger and better each day, but it's going to take a while.

I'm thinking when we hit 100,000 it may become a little more accessable to a general audience, like how Discogs became. For the most part over there, it's down to just adding specific versions of releases rather than being the first to create a page for a popular releases. It's the other way around here, where most people have to be the first to add a major release and then all the specific versions come later. I can't say what the user count is for the other countries, but just by judging at the territories list on the main page of releases the United States is the most predominant at just 25 shy of 13,000 releases. That is, it's only counting the release pages where people even bothered to type what the country of release was on there. But there is some hope, considering that the DVD has 45,000+ entries on here alone, and Blu-Ray having 12,000+ as well. We're on our way, but it's going to take a little bit longer I think before they're going to bring it back. And that's also dependent on when the moderators come back, that is.

TheWho87 wrote:

Im assuming there were issues, either way nobody was using it, they listed things but nothing probably moves, if you don't have a database the point of a marketplace is pointless, the site needs a database before anything like a database can be made active, till

Well no some people made sales. I remember one user who posted with joy his first sale.

Second filmogs passed his infancy on year 3. Is it year 10?

Regarding the number of releases, this is a completely absurd claim.

To this day people add stuff on discogs. Hence I don't agree with having at least 100 000 releases to get started. The mininal requirement for a release to be listed was esthablished a long time ago. So the chances of someone adding something too fringe or too incomplete is slim.

And we're hurting right now. Please let us sell.

BarryWallace wrote:

And we're hurting right now. Please let us sell.

It's not like the site is stopping you selling them, there is this little unknown website called eBay where you can sell things. But right now this site needs it's database improved to help it when the marketplace returns, but then again it's catch 22, dont want to add without a marketplace, a marketplace won't be needed until more things added.

Sadly Ebay doesn't give you the luxury of charging the exact price of shipping unlike discogs.

I don't understand the resistance from folks like you since you need a minimum of information to be list for a release to be here.

It isn't resistance we're giving you, it's for the reasons we've listed above. Let's say it does open right now, how many people would you expect to be using it? 20? 30? How many of those people would actually buy the releases instead of just putting it in their want lists instead? How many of them would be looking for a specific release you're selling? It'll just sit, and for quite a while at that. It's not going to happen for a while, and it's a matter of time. If you're looking for approximation, think maybe 1-2 years maybe, if you're lucky. The sites been active for about 5 years and we've accomplished a lot, but not enough for the marketplace to re-open.

You can argue with us all you want, but it's not going to change anything. You'll have to wait, or contribute some more releases yourself to move it along. That's my view on this situation, anyway.

TheWho87 wrote:

BarryWallace wrote:

And we're hurting right now. Please let us sell.

It's not like the site is stopping you selling them, there is this little unknown website called eBay where you can sell things. But right now this site needs it's database improved to help it when the marketplace returns, but then again it's catch 22, dont want to add without a marketplace, a marketplace won't be needed until more things added.

Ebay ten times better discogs is a ripoff for postage rates 20 for postage for 1 LP !!! when i can buy on ebay for half the price even free postage.

I remeber the marketplace was dead only 1 user added stuff on there and charged like 100's of $ for vhs, when vhs is only worth 0 - 5 $ nowadays depends on which one and people saying RARE OUT OF PRINT and charge 1'000's for one VHS or DVD or Bluray are the idiots, because it will just stay on ogs for life.

Filmogs is a database not a marketplace, its also why they changed the url from filmogs too films.discogs because they want too add all marketplaces into one.

still bad idea as Ebay is the cheaper alternative.

brought a teaze LP off Ebay 15$ free postage where on discogs 20$ + 20-40$ postage, ogs is only good for databasing not marketplacing, letting users freely choose there postage rates is online highway robbery.

UG1002 wrote:

TheWho87 wrote:

BarryWallace wrote:

And we're hurting right now. Please let us sell.

It's not like the site is stopping you selling them, there is this little unknown website called eBay where you can sell things. But right now this site needs it's database improved to help it when the marketplace returns, but then again it's catch 22, dont want to add without a marketplace, a marketplace won't be needed until more things added.

Ebay ten times better discogs is a ripoff for postage rates 20 for postage for 1 LP !!! when i can buy on ebay for half the price even free postage.

I remeber the marketplace was dead only 1 user added stuff on there and charged like 100's of $ for vhs, when vhs is only worth 0 - 5 $ nowadays depends on which one and people saying RARE OUT OF PRINT and charge 1'000's for one VHS or DVD or Bluray are the idiots, because it will just stay on ogs for life.

Filmogs is a database not a marketplace, its also why they changed the url from filmogs too films.discogs because they want too add all marketplaces into one.

still bad idea as Ebay is the cheaper alternative.

brought a teaze LP off Ebay 15$ free postage where on discogs 20$ + 20-40$ postage, ogs is only good for databasing not marketplacing, letting users freely choose there postage rates is online highway robbery.

It's like anything else it pays to shop around. I've not listed anything on Discogs, mainly due to it being complicated when it comes to tax. I had some stuff on bookogs when marketplace was up, pretty much listed at cost.

With eBay there is a huge problem with dishonest sellers mainly big shops listing stuff wrong, ex-library books not mentioned, water damaged covers listed as very good on videogames, CDs shipped in paper envelopes. Not sure how common that is on ogs given it's largely collectors.

There are black sheep everywhere.

I only fear that if Filmogs gets a marketplace too quickly, many users will only come to sell here. Since their publications are not listed, I fear that we will get a lot of unloving and duplicate entries, since "pure sellers" will not care about the correctness of the page.

This is often the case with Discogs, although the database is much larger. But many pure sellers have very bad discog points (often less than 3).

UG1002 wrote:

Ebay ten times better discogs is a ripoff for postage rates 20 for postage for 1 LP !!! when i can buy on ebay for half the price even free postage.

still bad idea as Ebay is the cheaper alternative.

brought a teaze LP off Ebay 15$ free postage where on discogs 20$ + 20-40$ postage, ogs is only good for databasing not marketplacing, letting users freely choose there postage rates is online highway robbery.

Shipping cost depends on the seller, not on discogs.
And ebay is more expensive to list stuff on.
And on eBay it is far more difficult to determine which version is actually sold.

eBay is seldom cheaper, to my experience.
I never had real bad experiences on discogs and shipping rates can easily be determined before you buy.

First thanks to Alexl and Dr. Sultan you guys make good point. Alexl when you list something on Discogs, you need to grade the sleeve and the media.

The thing is whe you sell on OGS you basically set the price of the media, afterward someone from all over the world can order it, I find out how much it is to ship to his country, add the additional cost and it's done.

Unlike Amazon where the last time I used it I lost money because the shipping price were already set by them.

Marco let me reply to your point.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

There are black sheep everywhere.

I only fear that if Filmogs gets a marketplace too quickly, many users will only come to sell here. Since their publications are not listed, I fear that we will get a lot of unloving and duplicate entries, since "pure sellers" will not care about the correctness of the page.

This is often the case with Discogs, although the database is much larger. But many pure sellers have very bad discog points (often less than 3).

I do not think that a seller will relist a media or duplicate it intentionally. Why bother with the work when it's already there.

BarryWallace wrote:

marco.leistner1 wrote:

There are black sheep everywhere.

I only fear that if Filmogs gets a marketplace too quickly, many users will only come to sell here. Since their publications are not listed, I fear that we will get a lot of unloving and duplicate entries, since "pure sellers" will not care about the correctness of the page.

This is often the case with Discogs, although the database is much larger. But many pure sellers have very bad discog points (often less than 3).

I do not think that a seller will relist a media or duplicate it intentionally. Why bother with the work when it's already there.

As a regular seller on Discogs, and a strong contributor here, I have to agree with Barry. Even if there is duplication, I think we have a strong enough community to overcome the "bad data" challenge. But I also wouldn't mind picking and choosing sellers to begin with. Maybe utilize a contribution rating to decide if someone can sell during the beta?

Either way, I'll live with the decision. I love it here because I'm a collector, and would love to see it expand.

As a long time collector (music & dvd) and discogs user i've seen a huge shift (over an extended period of time mind you) from collectors using ebay to using discogs primarily. It's drove the cost of things deemed "rare" on ebay to more reasonable levels because you have a sales history. The same thing should happen with the Filmogs marketplace when given the chance to open and function. In the time being i am sitting here with a massive stack of dvds to add to the database with the intention of filing my entire collection. Y'all should do the same. It's easy when you get a work flow.

leezus wrote:

In the time being i am sitting here with a massive stack of dvds to add to the database with the intention of filing my entire collection. Y'all should do the same.

That's a fair point, but honestly how high can a normal DVD go for? It's usually only like $3 - $10 for mostly any big film you'd want, mostly because they're easier to produce and maintain than a record or cassette. You can resurface a disc, you can't do that with a record.

You'd be talking to the wrong person about adding their collection, I've already added all 200 items in my collection to my virtual collection, most of which weren't on here as I previously mentioned. In fact, I've even added double what I own with over 400 contributions. In fact, most of us here have done the same thing but us alone won't accomplish the job.

Even with the copy to draft, it still seems like it takes a lot longer than Discogs to do if you want to add all the information for it. All the companies, roles, years, languages, chapters, etc. You could argue you don't need to do all that, but at this point who will other than you? Even with scanned images it's hard to beat the in person view with some of these DVD inserts smashing all the text at the bottom of the back cover.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.