There seems to be two paths people are taking adding in adding locations to events and it makes sense to agree on using one uniform system.

These are the current paths being used

Born: January 01, 1900 (New York City, New York, United States)

Born: January 01, 1900 (United States) New York City, New York

Or if there is a better system feel free to suggest.

I prefer variant two because the system can then sort the actors by country. So you can e.g. display all actors from Germany.

In variant one, the system lists by location and country, it would then only combine actors who have exactly the same entry. "New York City, New York, United States" would not be treated the same as "New York, United States".

And if there was some kind of sorting system I might agree, since there isn't I'm all for the first option.

291/5000
Since this is a country field, countries should also be used.

They are sorted in the system with certainty, just as the film entries are also sorted by country.

Why only enter it under variant 1 and then later, if there is a sort, change everything again.

The field isn't country, its place, therefore imputing the place of birth is correct, this can be more than the country.

In Bookogs the staff said that:
"Actually that field is a free text one. The country suggestions are provided for timesaving and standardisation."

https://books.discogs.com/forum/634916-new-feature-on-credits-events-dates#post-3

So at least in Bookogs, when a full location is available, we have used the first option. That's why I've used it here too.

The sentence is decisive:

"The country suggestions are provided for timesaving and standardization."

That's handy, from that system I guess the notes ould be identifying what a historical country is called today, such as (Czechoslovakia) Czech Republic.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

The sentence is decisive:

"The country suggestions are provided for timesaving and standardization."

You missed the part of it being a free text section so you can put the full location n it, iinstead of the notes, thus justifying option 1.

At the beginning you asked which is the more sensible variant and not whether both are justified. That was not up for discussion.

I said my opinion on variant 2, because this simplifies sorting and would be more uniform.

You missed the part of it being a free text section so you can put the full location n it, iinstead of the notes, thus justifying option 1

Indeed. The free text option is there for a reason.

I've always interpreted that his comment meant that the countries in the drop-down are just suggestions, and should be used if you're entering just the country, and if the country is on the list. Otherwise the free text option should be used.

I do think though that it's slightly confusing to have both a free text field and a drop down.

I said my opinion on variant 2, because this simplifies sorting and would be more uniform.

But there's no sorting... Or am I missing something?

There isn't, but trying to justify a reason for that way to be of any use would require the possibility of there being sorting at some point.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

At the beginning you asked which is the more sensible variant and not whether both are justified. That was not up for discussion.

As usual your ignore the point I was making, I wasn't asking for the sensible variant, I was saying it would be sensible to pick one option and use that, rather than having them both.

There isn't, but trying to justify a reason for that way to be of any use would require the possibility of there being sorting at some point.

Oh ok. I mean... it can happen, but most likely not anytime soon. Not much development going on in any of the sites at the moment. Also such feature doesn't even exist in Discogs, and would probably not be a priority as it deals with the credits while the releases and films should be the focus.

That said, I don't think either of the options is necessarily wrong or horrible, I'm just used to option 1 because of Bookogs. I've also been around long enough to know not to base any opinions on possible, or even promised features. ;-)

If anything one thing this ogs site despritaly needs is some kind of credit alias system, but as you say it's not really a priority right now.

i actually like the free text zone so if i mispell the city or state i don't have too reedit the whole country text part.

I believe by "free text field", it's refering to the fact you can put anything into "Places" rather than just sticking to the drop down countries, they are only there for a simple ease of use, you might be refering to the "Notes" section of events, which I think is best used for the present name of countries, such as "(Czechoslovakia) (Now Czech Republic)".

I've just done an hour or so skimming the other ogs sites on their use of events and they all seem to be consistent with the first option.

So if that's how the other sites use it, should that not be the preferred method?

Plus it's how most of use use it anyway, it's just a select few who want to be

That should have ended with "different", my keyboards been playing up lately.

It's not that i want too be different it's because if i mispell the city or state in the country text zone, you have too reedit the whole text, where with the free zone i can spell cities and towns corectly and former countries like USSR, Yugaslavia etc.

though if we are all too use the first one i'll just try my best when adding cities, states and former countries.

Here's the thing, if you put it in the notes field and someone edited it to put it in the places field, you'd probably not keep reverting it back to the way you had it, you'd likely understand that's how it's meant to be.

If only others here got that and there wasn't 10+ versions of just reverting each other on a page over trivial nonsence like this.

The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

TheWho87 wrote:

I've just done an hour or so skimming the other ogs sites on their use of events and they all seem to be consistent with the first option.

So if that's how the other sites use it, should that not be the preferred method?

Plus it's how most of use use it anyway, it's just a select few who want to be

This is not true since Discogs has no field for the artist's birthday as the main page and it is entered as a separate entry in the free text field.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

This is not true since Discogs has no field for the artist's birthday as the main page and it is entered as a separate entry in the free text field.

This is true because by other ogs sites I was clearly refering to the other sites similar to this one, that being Comicogs, Posterogs, Vinylhub, Gearogs and Bookogs.

More specifically Bookogs and Comicogs as they would have similar credits to this site

If you want examples take a look at these

https://books.discogs.com/credit/114038-billy-bragg
https://books.discogs.com/credit/138428-ronald-reagan
https://books.discogs.com/credit/199941-patrick-rothfuss
https://books.discogs.com/credit/234587-billy-bass-nelson
https://books.discogs.com/credit/261945-bill-henson
https://books.discogs.com/credit/262201-john-lee-hooker
https://books.discogs.com/credit/270806-david-marr
https://books.discogs.com/credit/294313-philip-glass
https://books.discogs.com/credit/31656-margaret-wise-brown
https://books.discogs.com/credit/32848-billy-idol
https://books.discogs.com/credit/410598-meryl-streep
https://books.discogs.com/credit/487108-greg-wise
https://books.discogs.com/credit/551592-angelo-antolino
https://books.discogs.com/credit/68491-lisa-jackson
https://books.discogs.com/credit/734723-h-w-ward

https://comics.discogs.com/credit/15385-dave-taylor
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/16076-wally-wood
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/16094-frank-frazetta
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/16096-ray-bradbury
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/25739-caza
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/47297-sergio-aragones
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/6230-george-herriman
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/7675-steve-niles
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/7912-ben-templesmith
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/84316-mike-judge

And here are some that only use the default countries, none of them use the notes for expanding the location

https://comics.discogs.com/credit/108502-bedu
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/109793-henryk-jerzy-chmielewski
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/125885-miroslaw-stecewicz
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/126156-jerzy-szylak
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/4989-marek-szyszko
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/5060-boguslaw-polch
https://comics.discogs.com/credit/99376-zbigniew-kasprzak

Feel free to do your own research, I did not go through every single credit with an event set because that would be going through a lot that do not have events set, but from the first couple few hundred credits that do have events match the first option.

Now feel free to find a way to justify the way you do it since only you and I think a couple others use it, but you are the most egregious as you will constantly revert and ignore any rational reason.

And here are some that only use the default countries, none of them use the notes for expanding the location

In Bookogs the Notes are often used for other date/birth information that is relevant, like the accuracy of the date, alternative dates, causes of death etc.

For example:
https://books.discogs.com/credit/549420-hubert-crackanthorpe
https://books.discogs.com/credit/23531-isaac-asimov
https://books.discogs.com/credit/25170-leo-tolstoy

I joined this discussion because of a user (they have not participated here) reverting several of my edits in the past, moving the city to the Notes field.

I understand that these have been and probably still are a matter of personal preference, but IMO that means that there's even less reason to edit these back and forth.

That's exactly how I think the fields should be used.

What's annoying is that we have individuals here who put the locatin in notes and feel the need to stop anyone putting it in the correct field, so much so it's pointless to even bother correcting it because they will just revert it without reason.

Since it seems the concensus is to include ALL location information into the places field I have added the following into the credit guidelines.

When adding events, include all location information within the places field, the drop down countries are there as quick guide, the field is free text and allows for more information to be included. The notes field would be to indicate if the country has since changes its name, or to include their age when they died, it is not for adding locations.

This is how the field is used on other sub-ogs sites, and it is best practice to use one format.

The key point here is that this is how other sub-ogs sites use this feature, and it's how the majority of this site uses this feature.

i have also just noticed when esiting the country dropdown list it says place not country.

which means if it says place that should include the city and country.

now i agree the notes section should be used for cause of death, current country eg if the person was born in West Germany i would put west germany in place in notes i would put now Germany. And there age or dates like between if there place of death is unknown.

IMO This is one of those things that should have a technical solution, being able to select places at a city / state / country level. But it is hard to implement (there's a lot of levels, lot of historical places) and it's not something we are planning to work on for now.

So I agree, getting a consensus or coming up with a convention is the best way here. I don't have strong feelings either way but if a majority consensus has emerged maybe that is the way to go?

For users that disagree with whichever way wins. I can see why you would find this frustrating and I can see why edits to your submissions might annoy you. Please understand that its not that your way was wrong and the other one was right. I think building up knowledge, databases and communities will always require concessions and compromise. Ultimately we all want the same thing, comprehensive and correct data.

by my understanding this one user keeps reverting peter halliday.

he was born in England, though this user prefers too put the United Kingdom as the country when England is the country.

this user also does it for wales.

the user has reverted the peter halliday page for 65 times, the same user adds the FBI, towns in Wisconsin and shops as credits.

https://films.discogs.com/credit/438969-lincoln-county-wisconsin

https://films.discogs.com/credit/438973-town-of-gleason-wisconsin

https://films.discogs.com/credit/444481-federal-bureau-of-investigation-fbi
i could understand the fbi for a fbi produced film but not on a feature film which has nothing too do with the FBI

https://films.discogs.com/credit/457374-de-lane-lea a shop

To be fair it wasn't what they was adding, it was where, they only used the drop-down options and put the location in notes.

To me the best example on how to use notes for events would be like this, using them for the current name of an older country and the age of death.
https://films.discogs.com/credit/16826-adolf-hitler/history/version/11

Its a version since this would be reverted

I don't see why they have to be difficult, I would have thought simply copy and pasting IMDb information into the right field would be in their field.

by what kalli says "majority consensus has emerged maybe that is the way to go?" which means since the majority of ogs are going with the

Born: January 01, 1900 (New York City, New York, United States)

we should do it too, if he just reverts and ignores you we will just have too keep reporting this user.

until staff wake's up and actually deals with the user and not avoiding the questin.

Or we can both keep reverting it too the correct system which may cause more harm then good.

when i kept putting rental in title of releases i had 2 users who kept correcting them.

A majority of you two are not representative of 11,000 users.

And certainly not if one of them constantly changes his mind and who repeatedly posts the same comments in different threads.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

A majority of you two are not representative of 11,000 users.

And certainly not if one of them constantly changes his mind and who repeatedly posts the same comments in different threads.

Well just stop your nonsense if y0u revery anything i habe changed i guarentee i will revert it.

by what kalli says above we should go by 1 system.

i never changed my mind about credits i just thought at first it was easier too do it your way until they explained too put current countries in notes when its like born in east germany now germany.

yes i changed my mind ver hkmdb credits because i did not know they actually list 10'000 more films then imdb for forigns, its like other films db's which specify in there various films.

also not just us 2 auboisdormant as well so thats 3, but many others on here do 1 system and not 2.

Kalli does not say that you two should decide something and that then reflects the majority.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

Kalli does not say that you two should decide something and that then reflects the majority.

cool gonna play a revert game with you kid ok how long you wanna play it for 1 week 1 year?

you decide mate because i am down.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

A majority of you two are not representative of 11,000 users.

And certainly not if one of them constantly changes his mind and who repeatedly posts the same comments in different threads.

I love how you just over exaggerate pointless dribble because you have no argument.

I'd argue in this context the majority is that the majority of pages already use one format, therefore that should be the format used, add to the fact that other sub-ogs sites are also consistant with this format would argue it is the best format to use.

If you want all 11,916 to take a side your just being pedantic to avoid having to change your ways, that will not happen because it's a pointless exercise and even in the unlikely event it did happen you'll likely just ignore it and continue doing things your way like you usually do.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

Kalli does not say that you two should decide something and that then reflects the majority.

They also clearly didnt state that you must decide how things are to be done either, the argument against you is that the majority of pages already use the other format and that the format is consistant with other sub-ogs sites, explain why your way should be used.

if all othets ogs use 1 system we should too and how many users use the other ogs like millions, at a guess.

also alot of those 11'000 users dont even use the site its manly like 10 - 20 regulars.

UG1002 wrote:

cool gonna play a revert game with you kid ok how long you wanna play it for 1 week 1 year?

you decide mate because i am down.

Can I go on record for saying that I disavow, I've tried that in the past with them and they are so childishly petty the only positive outcome is to not engage, but then again that would to allow the opinion of one person to reflect the majority.

I have now found the quick 3 users (including me) who like me. (within the past 24 hours)

https://films.discogs.com/credit/118767-patton-oswalt
https://films.discogs.com/credit/43719-kristen-bell
https://films.discogs.com/credit/334012-peter-halliday

And 2 plus the two of you who enter your type

https://films.discogs.com/credit/457868-connee-boswell
https://films.discogs.com/credit/278950-tino-scotti

Not really a representative majority, and anything but a unified form in any way

this is also a way of dealing with converting the entries of the other two users, who like me, directly into their format.

All of which had a drop down location used months ago and added to, which shold have been corrected, not added to.

As I have mentioned to you, in the past, when this feature was originally added I and a few others used the dropdown box thinking that was the best way, however since seeing how the feature works we have mostly adapted to the format of putting ALL of the event into the place field.

As I previously said
TheWho87 wrote:

I don't see why they have to be difficult, I would have thought simply copy and pasting IMDb information into the right field would be in their field.

I love this justification
"Half of active users agree with me" (three including himself)
https://films.discogs.com/credit/334012-peter-halliday/history

While to use the other format he claims it needs the majority of the 11,917 users, one of these things is not like the other.

Also from my understanding that makes it 4-3 of active users, and 2 of those three don't care to guard and revert the events and accept the other format if changes, thus making it 6-1, and to use your own argument, Kalli does not say that you should decide something and that then reflects the majority.

They are speculating why other users are not resetting their changes, do not think that they are authorized and qualified to do so.

Unless they make a statement themselves your comment on their stance is worthless and is no justification for that system, I have updated a few of their events and have not encountered them challenging or engaging in similar actions to you.

You have yet to justify why to use your format, there are four active users, including me, who add events to credits in the way I advocate, there are two who update events in the way you want, and only you who intentionally add events in that manner.

Either Way the active amount of users who don't usse your format are in the majority, add to that the majority of pages use that format already and the other sub-ogs pages use the format.

The argument against your system far outweights what little argument you have given.

i will keep changing marcos errors.

and there is about 14 active users, which use this ste daily.

zamala71
thewho
myself
marco
coatcheif
sixdienne
lexingtonangel
missbabylover
simfoni_terror
cupp (the user which has there dog as there profile picture)
rixe.
simfui_rui
nivikin
omlegy

marco.leistner1 wrote:

I have now found the quick 3 users (including me) who like me. (within the past 24 hours)

https://films.discogs.com/credit/118767-patton-oswalt
https://films.discogs.com/credit/43719-kristen-bell
https://films.discogs.com/credit/334012-peter-halliday

And 2 plus the two of you who enter your type

https://films.discogs.com/credit/457868-connee-boswell
https://films.discogs.com/credit/278950-tino-scotti

Not really a representative majority, and anything but a unified form in any way

Thats great work detective marco now how many credits out of the 160'000 use your system compared too the proper system.

before you joined marco most users were using 1 system, now we have too use 2 too suit you.

Don't worry, we both know he won't bother looking at anything counter to his own argument, look at all those examples I provided that was ignored. When things go against him it's easy to ignore them, he has still to answer the simple question of why is he forcing his format? Why is that such a hard question to answer?

TheWho87 wrote:

Don't worry, we both know he won't bother looking at anything counter to his own argument, look at all those examples I provided that was ignored. When things go against him it's easy to ignore them, he has still to answer the simple question of why is he forcing his format? Why is that such a hard question to answer?

You are making great statements which is coomon sense.

it seems like Marco is the odd one out, why do you want option 2 over 1 and force it marco?.

for example if there is no new data but he still reverts it.

now he is not correcting spelling of Montréal and Québec just reverts it i have asked many times but ignores and just reverts.

https://films.discogs.com/credit/28507-rodney-eastman

and also removing fandom links saying they are not working.

he just keeps lieing now saying criminal minds fandom for terry walter is not working

UG1002 wrote:

and also removing fandom links saying they are not working.

he just keeps lieing now saying criminal minds fandom for terry walter is not working

well he fixed criminal minds link but still keeps removing https://www.metacritic.com/person/tracey-walter

Yeah he thinks he's clever, he justifis changing while sneeking in a link, yet if you do the same he'll ignore it and revert it anyway, that was the key issue with Peter Halliday, I got an accurate place of birth from his obituary yet he kept reverting to IMDb which said it was "near" somewhere, took about 40 revisions of them blindly before the child looked at the source.

Yes i have reported him for various things i hope staff wake up and ban this user.

anything else he blindly reverts will add here.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

A majority of you two are not representative of 11,000 users.

And certainly not if one of them constantly changes his mind and who repeatedly posts the same comments in different threads.

Actually more then 2 users use our system

mikewn, cupp, ens and the other russian user.

all use the main system so technically marco thats

6 - 3.

which means the majority uses the crrect system and not your incorrect system.

But your forgetting he only needs 3 to justify his side. We need the majority of 11,000 before he accepts defeat.

TheWho87 wrote:

But your forgetting he only needs 3 to justify his side. We need the majority of 11,000 before he accepts defeat.

Oh yeah, thats true.

or if he just stops would be great.

To be honest the guy has become so toxic that I seriously think banning would be the only positive outcome, he clearly doesn't care of the views of others and just wants to force his own views while complaining about others forcing their views, a total hypocrite.

i reported him for various of things not just abusing the revert system so i hope staff review.

Are you messaging them directly or using the support feature?

TheWho87 wrote:

Are you messaging them directly or using the support feature?

Yes i used the support feature.

I didn't have much luck on there so I messaged Kali directly through Discogs, that's why they popped in the thread. Could try falsepriest and get both involved but makes to keep one updated on all the info.

Alright ill message kalli directly.

thank you.

All say is provide receipts, that's why I reluctantly posted those links to pages he is guarding.

i sent him a direct link too my support request as i explained it would be too big of a message too include in 1 discogs message.

Just don't bombard them, they took a few days to respond to me.

Yeah its why i only sent 1 message directly too my support page request because i did not think sending lots of messages would resolve anything.

well i sent the message directly too Kalli but included the support page link

it looks like marco is bombarding the credits with Insurance Brokers, which i don't think should be credits.

Yeah it's another case of "if it's on IMDb it must be copied over", the reason he added those home release companies and why he adds TV broadcasters to theatrical films, because and I quote "it's relevant for him to include them".

is it me or has marco just stopped all of a sudden like not adding anything too films he makes, not reverting credits.

its like he has finally stopped not holding my breath but i hope he has.

Don't jinx it!

Ok, I appreciate the level of dedication here but to me this doesn't feel like a very constructive debate anymore or the best use of anyones time.

I would like us to keep responses to this thread over private messages. I don't feel like any party here is fully right or wrong. It is hard to establish a consensus of the "right" way to do things.

But let's try to figure this out. Let's call the way of adding more geographical detail to the place field way 1. This would be an example:

Date: 1969-01-27
Event: Born
Place: New York City, New York, United States

And conversely let's call the adding more geographical detail to the notes field way 2:

Date: 1969-01-27
Event: Born
Place: United States
Notes: New York City, New York

I looked at the data to try to see if there is a majority consensus there.

  • There are 13.398 credits that have events
  • Those credits have 17.552 events in total (as each can have more than one)
  • 16.223 of those events have a place
    • Of these 16.223 places, 6.013 have a comma (,) in them (which would indicate way 1 being used)
  • 3.560 of those events have notes
    • Of those 3.560 notes, 2046 notes have a comma (,) in them (which would indicate way 2 being used)

So it seems like way 1 is more dominant in the current data. This is mirrored on Bookogs, where way 1 is even more dominant. Ultimately having one way will make it easier to convert this format into a more structured data later. Unless there are any strong reasons I will add way 1 as the preferred way to do things to the guidelines.

Please note that this does not mean proponents of way 1 were right and those who went with way 2 were wrong. From our perspective both were just trying to their best within the technical limitations. Ultimately we are all trying to build a complete and comprehensive database, which seems more important than these minor details. If you submitted using way 2 please do to not take edits changing your submissions to way 1 as a personal attack or revert them continuously. Conversely if you are updating credits to way 1 please do not gloat about it.

Also note that namecalling, revert wars and other unreasonable behaviour may result in bans regardless of which "side" you were on. Let us try to attribute good faith to each other and discuss respectfully.

Though what are you doing about the same user adding.

cities as credits
spam as credits

companies which should be companies and not credits as credits?

and other strange companies like addidas, mercedes-benz, banks etc.

Thank you for your answer, Kalli, and your sensible compromise proposal, which I can live with.

I just want to ask that the forum be used as a reasonable discussion platform in the future. By not tearing apart the opinions of others and simply leaving uncommented posts (even if they do not correspond to the opinions of others).

In addition, please make sure that the content of the posts also fits the thread topic, which I would like to question at the end of this current thread.

Activities of individual users should not be recognizable by constant comments in the forum and new entries by other users should only be changed if there are obvious errors, otherwise it should and so it has always been the requirement at Discogs that you have to have the physical release to change movie entries.

And now something from the discussions of the past few days. I just don't want to have to argue that the United Kingdom is a sovereign state that includes England, Wales and Northern Ireland. And yes, England is also a country, but not a sovereign state.

I would also like to ask that company entries are not constantly commented on in the forum. And sound, film, recording, financing companies should also continue to be credited. So it is common at least on Discogs and also desired.
And as long as no other solution for the credited Thank you credite has been found, these can only be added as credit on the main page of the film.

I hope for future respectful and sometimes even more sophisticated dealings with each other. And I lock myself in there.

And thanks for adding that too guidelines.

Does that mean any credit should be changed too Alternative 1. since its in the rules, plus also addng wikipedia and imdb sities if they don't have them.

Thanks for an official decision on this.

The key issue here was both parties thought they way was correct, and that wasn't the issue, the problem was the disagreement on the idea of using one format. And I admit being a heavy handed on this, simply because Marco was being heavy handed too, what made this worse was the lack of communication or repeating the same arguments.

The threads I made regarding your actions were not because of you, they were question what you were doing, for example the other thread
was regarding you adding home release information onto films when that's the whole point of this site and the whole release section. I don't care about the credits/companies you add, I just question if they need to be there, for example I question having TV channels on theatrical films as I don't think that's really relevant, if they had something in the production or that was how they were first distributed like Syfy movies I'd agree. I don't agree however if it's just a channel that aired a filme this one time.

Also can we at least agree to comprimise that a place ending with England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales or United Kingdom are just as valid as each other and and you don't need to add United Kingdom to the end of it just because it's missing.

Also to be clear Marco I have no issue with you, can we at least draw a line uder all the shit that happened and move on?

UG1002 wrote:

And thanks for adding that too guidelines.

Does that mean any credit should be changed too Alternative 1. since its in the rules, plus also addng wikipedia and imdb sities if they don't have them.

I'd always argue IMDb, Wikipedia and Discog links should be considered priority sources for all pages where possible.

Im just gonna move on.

and hope this site is uniform.

TheWho87 wrote:

UG1002 wrote:

And thanks for adding that too guidelines.

Does that mean any credit should be changed too Alternative 1. since its in the rules, plus also addng wikipedia and imdb sities if they don't have them.

I'd always argue IMDb, Wikipedia and Discog links should be considered priority sources for all pages where possible.

Yes those are priority in my books.

Maybe also French wikipedia for French, German wikipedia for German and so on with wikipedias, HKMDb and other databases 2nd sources.

I had mentioned if they could possibly add in a way to display which labguage of Wikipedia was linked, but in the mean time try and link to an English page where possible, and if adding other languages state the language in the notes.

Thank you for your statement, and yes I can draw a line.

When it comes to specifying the country, I think the UK is one of them, but I don't see any problem if the UK is added to the existing location in a later processing.

I also find TV broadcasts relevant for theatrical releases, at least when it comes to the first broadcast or restored versions. But I do not think that I am exaggerating extremely, as far as I have the usual, have a maximum of three TV broadcasts per film and very often none at all. I had removed doe home release entries weeks ago, was an attempt that turned out to be an error.

So a fresh start and mutual respect.

I don't see the need to include "UK" since I feel England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are justifiable on their own, but I won't change it if it is added, my issue was never what was listed, just where it was, the issue only cropped up because you were justifying it as a reason for reverting.

As I stated ages ago in this thread, I have no issue with just copy and pasting location info from IMDb just put it in the right place, I'm not a fan of it having "USA" or "UK" and would rather have United States or United Kingdom, but that's my personal preference but I won't intentionally edit just to change it.

and also marco can you please start correcting Montréal and Québec, on Robert Eastman we had no issue there all you had too do was correct.

To be fair their both correct so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

well montreal is part of French Canada so i naturally thought we would spell it the french way as Montréal Québec.

Ok, great, happy to see that this feels like it could be the consensus. Thank you for your measured response and as always for the submissions and interest in the db.

I've updated the guidelines to reflect this decision. You should see them in the credit submission form as well:
https://films.discogs.com/guidelines/credit#events

kalli wrote:

Ok, great, happy to see that this feels like it could be the consensus. Thank you for your measured response and as always for the submissions and interest in the db.

I've updated the guidelines to reflect this decision. You should see them in the credit submission form as well:
https://films.discogs.com/guidelines/credit#events

Cheers

UG1002 wrote:

well montreal is part of French Canada so i naturally thought we would spell it the french way as Montréal Québec.

True, but without the "É" is still a correct spelling, I don't think this is an issue to fight over. Now we know IMDb doesn't use certain non-latin characters, so if it contained one of those I'd agree. This is the same with names, if a name has non-latin characters in it that IMDb don't use, it should be corrected to its correct spelling, hat's why I like to cross search Wikipedia with IMDb.

Quebec, canada should be written without an apostrophe since we enter place names in English and not in the respective mother tongue, here French

UG1002 wrote:

and also marco can you please start correcting Montréal and Québec, on Robert Eastman we had no issue there all you had too do was correct.

marco.leistner1 wrote:

Quebec, canada should be written without an apostrophe since we enter place names in English and not in the respective mother tongue, here French

UG1002 wrote:

and also marco can you please start correcting Montréal and Québec, on Robert Eastman we had no issue there all you had too do was correct.

Not true Île-de-France is spelt in french.

there is no English alt for Île-de-France, along with the spanish city name alts.

Come on man pick your battles, it's one thing to fight for proper formatting, it's another to fight for É, in this instance both are valid, no need to be picky, we've only got events on 13k pages out of 160k, we got bigger shit to deal with!

I'm not fighting for É i was just saying that some places dont have english alts.

I'd kill for a working anv system on this db... it sure would solve a LOT of ails.

UG1002 wrote:

I'm not fighting for É i was just saying that some places dont have english alts.

Then use what's available, you brought this up regarding Montreal/Montréal and Quebec/Québec, their both correct no point arguing one over another.

Nivekian wrote:

I'd kill for a working anv system on this db... it sure would solve a LOT of ails.

Yes, but if we're waiting on new features we might as well wait for everything to fix itself.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.