I just want to get clarification on what symbol is best used in titles. The guideline states not to use a minus sign for anything other than negative numbers, but that's all it says, for example I get the logic for the use of colons like "TITLE: SUBTITLE", but when it's "TITLE: SUBTITLE - PART 1" what's the best character to use, is it a dash (—) or the hyphen/minus (-).

I think the common practice currently is to use the hyphen/minus, but then again the guidelines say only use it for negative numbers, and I'm also assuming hyphenated names as common sence.

And on a similar note what about brackets for release titles, there doesn't seem to be conformity, most use the rounded brackets (), while others use the square ones [], and their both used for similar things, to denote it's edition or being a retail exclusive, and some don't use either there isn't anything in the guidelines on it.

TheWho87 wrote:

I just want to get clarification on what symbol is best used in titles. The guideline states not to use a minus sign for anything other than negative numbers, but that's all it says, for example I get the logic for the use of colons like "TITLE: SUBTITLE", but when it's "TITLE: SUBTITLE - PART 1" what's the best character to use, is it a dash (—) or the hyphen/minus (-).

I think it's supposed to be, "TITLE: SUBTITLE: PART 1"
It doesn't look as good aesthetically, which is likely why people choose to use parentheses/round brackets( ) or square brackets[ ] they are used almost identically... https://www.englishclub.com/writing/punctuation-brackets.htm

And on a similar note what about brackets for release titles, there doesn't seem to be conformity, most use the rounded brackets (), while others use the square ones [], and their both used for similar things, to denote it's edition or being a retail exclusive, and some don't use either there isn't anything in the guidelines on it.

I think all that information is supposed to be in the notes and nobody wants to put it there. Maybe they don't know that the search function searches the notes field?

The edition can be listed with the title on the cover/spine which under the guidelines means it can be included in the title.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.