https://films.discogs.com/guidelines/release#title

Users keep adding these and get all pissy at me when correcting them. What should I do? The guidelines seem pretty clear on the matter. Is there an admin/staff that can verify that these terms should be kept out of the title?

zamla_71 wrote:

https://films.discogs.com/forum/346078-retail-rental

And?
One user says that they don't follow the guidelines. Now, the link in that thread was much more interesting.

So, let me ask you this; If a video store rents a retail release of a film does that make it a rental?

Nivekian wrote:

And?
So, let me ask you this; If a video store rents a retail release of a film does that make it a rental?

no! it should be printed rental/rental copy from the distributor of the release
or marked in some other way, exemple: hologram sticker from the distributor.

Thanx.

Thinking more on this, wouldn't it be better to have such information as a company credit such as these releases?

I don't know how rentals work outside the united snakes, but I know that in this country there are(were?) sometimes releases specific to some rental companies [example] while others are simply retail releases that they slapped a sticker on. Even today, most(all?) rental stores and kiosks use retail copies as rentals. Unless there is some promotional advance specific to the rental company...

I would assume this is a UK retail dvd with a sticker slapped on it? Should the fact that it's a rental from a kiosk be in the title?

(How do people not see the aftermarket stickers? Don't they know that pre-market stickers are uncommon and usually just identification codes? Maybe they simply don't understand how rentals work in countries they're not from? Maybe they add things they don't own?)

Personally I don't see any identifiers on any of them to justify them being ex-rental, I have a few ex-rentals from Blockbusters and they clearly have identifiers of being a rental copy, along with others that are just retail copies that have a Blockbuster sticker on it.

Unless the cover or physical media state it's a rental copy, it's not a rental copy.

TheWho87 wrote:

Unless the cover or physical media state it's a rental copy, it's not a rental copy.

+1

at least in Sweden very early rental releases did not have rental or rental copy
printed on them, but on the other hand there were no retail releases around either back in the early 80's.

And that doesn't mean "it's got a sticker on it", I mean actually printed on the label and cover.

TheWho87 wrote:

And that doesn't mean "it's got a sticker on it", I mean actually printed on the label and cover.

How about this example?

no indication on the cover or physical media of being a rental release until
you read the fine print on the back of the cover.

(roughly translate from Swedish to English)
Warning! This video cassette may only be provided to the public through rental / sales.

So this release can be a retail release if you bought it at a retail store or it could be a rental release if you bought it as a used copy from a rental store.

So , how to add it in the database?
Retail or Rental or both?

This is why i would like to see an update of the Release Form with either check-boxes or specific fields for Retail, Rental, Promo.

I put rental-information in notes. Like this
(It is printed 'LEIE' == rental in norwegian on the spine).

IMO 'rental'/'rental copy' has no place in the title field.
The guidelines seems to agree with this:

Title. Enter the title exactly as it appears on the release.

If 'rental copy' or something like that is printed in big letters on front cover I guess one could make an argumet for adding the rental-info to the title-field.

This DVD has 'LEIEFILM' (rental movie) printed on front cover.
Maybe this could have been added as:
Guruen (Leiefilm)
Guruen (Norwegian rental) would NOT be correct.

Do we agree on rental-info not added to title-field, or do we need a staff ruling?

If info about the release being intended for rental only is printed on the release, that information should go in the Notes section, not part of the title.

Thanks @falsepriest

falsepriest wrote:

If info about the release being intended for rental only is printed on the release, that information should go in the Notes section, not part of the title.

Thanx for the fast ruling in this matter.

Don't like it very much but if you say so we have to follow the rules.

Is it still allowed to enter Special Edition, Limited Edition, Director's Cut, etc, etc in the Title Field?
That is not part of the Title either, but rather a description of the release itself.
Example:
"Title" (Limited Edition) allowed.
"Title" (Rental Copy) not allowed.

What is the differance? Both examples describes the release itself.

if it syas rental on cover / spine its rental in title.

sorry guys about before i can follow rules.

UG1002 wrote:

No. It is not.

Please read what falsepriest wrote:

And please do not accuse me of vandalism when I remove rental-info from the title field.

omelby wrote:

UG1002 wrote:

No. It is not.

Please read what falsepriest wrote:

And please do not accuse me of vandalism when I remove rental-info from the title field.

i wouden't accuse you if you were not doing it.

you could of idk notified me on discogs and i wouod of easily changed them.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.