I have been having difficult and/or annoying times with the various search functions and their auto-suggestions. I believe they could be better so I thought I'd list 'em and maybe they'll be addressed.

Main Search Field

• When searching a title of a movie the auto suggest will often not show the film's entry. Shoudn't the film appear first rather than a bunch of releases? Maybe there's a way to prioritize between films and releases?

• Wearching sequels without their secondary titles such as Hellraiser III should't Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth be found closer to the top of the search results than the 8th spot? I know it may be mostly an alternate title issue and a weak example but I've added alternate titles to some of the worse ones (Gremlins 2 was in spot 28 before adding the alternate title )

Contribution Company/Credit Fields

• Some companies will not show up in these fields until they are typed out fully. For instance Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. if one types this into the field it will not auto-suggest until the letter 'c'. Which is pretty annoying since they hold so many copyrights and distribute so many titles. Giving the company and credit pages ANV fields or internal linking would likely fix this issue and several others. (Nudge nudge)

I'm sure there was one more thing that was bugging me about the search, guess I'll have to add it to this thread later.

Nivekian wrote:

Main Search Field

• Shoudn't the film appear first rather than a bunch of releases? Maybe there's a way to prioritize between films and releases?

Totally agree.
Much better and easier if only the Films show up.
Find the Film and click it and there you have all of the releases.
Easy peasy!

Also would like this so its easier to find the film you are looking for.

I just searced for the term 'Fairy Tale' and Fairy Tale: A True Story is not in the results.

Maybe the search engine needs to omit the colon?

Nivekian wrote:

Maybe the search engine needs to omit the colon?

Maybe ignore spaces too and just get the most lettesr in the same order? I now realise it wasn't in the results because Fairy Tale and Fairytale are different typographicly. There must be a way for the search engine to deal with this kinda' thing. Other search engines seem to do this without much problem...

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.